UKOM’s quarterly snapshot of digital audience trends provides detailed insights into the UK’s top performing websites, mobile and video properties. Each report includes total Multi-Platform measures (UVs, minutes), as well as breakdowns by device (PC/smartphone/tablet).
Over 50 million users accessed the internet via their desktop, smartphone and tablet devices in March 2017.
- After peaking at 50% in December, smartphone’s share goes back to pre-Xmas levels and now stands at 48% of all online minutes.
- Nearly 4 million adults don’t use a PC and are now mobile only. 9% of the UK population are mobile only but this is higher among younger audiences and parents.
- Compared to December 2016, predictably the retail category declined most in terms of unique visitors (-14%). Toys, Jewellery and Fragrance retailers saw the biggest % declines. Sites selling ecards also saw a 68% drop in visitors.
- Major categories which witnessed big time online gains in March compared to December 2016 included Property (+67%), Education (63%) and Career services (+63%) with Rightmove, Zoopla and Indeed performing well. Linkedin also experienced an 87% increase in time online as many people started the New Year looking to change their work and living arrangements.
- Property (+17%) and Career (+23%) sites were also in the top 5 for unique visitor growth, but the Automotive sector showed the biggest uplift with a 25% increase in audience between December and March 2017.
- Platform’s share of time online continues to differ dramatically by content & category – 92% of time spent on Automotive Manufacturer sites is spent on a PC/laptop whereas for job search sites 94% of time is spent on smartphones.
Read more or download the whole UKOM Digital Market Overview - March 2017 .pdf here.
To find out more about UKOM Insights, please email email@example.com.